Every one of us must have felt dizzy at least once. Dizziness can manifest itself in different ways, from a feeling of light faintness to a sensation when the earth floats before your eyes. In such cases, the cause of vertigo is most likely the disease.
At what conditions does dizziness occur
Dizziness can occur when the transmission of nerve impulses from the distal parts of the vestibular apparatus to the brain is impaired. Frequent dizziness may be troubling in the following conditions:
- inflammatory process in the middle ear
- vestibular neuritis, Meniere’s syndrome (a disease in which the amount of fluid in the middle ear cavity increases dramatically). In this condition, in addition to the fact that the head is spinning, noises in the ears, there is nausea until vomiting
- in unilateral hearing disorders and simultaneous dizziness, it is necessary to exclude neoplasms in the brain
- violation of the blood circulation of the brain
- diseases of the spine, especially problems in the cervical region. In such cases, in addition to dizziness, a person feels soreness in the neck, a sense of disorientation when performing head turns
- after a previous trauma to the spine or head with migraine.
Also, dizziness can occur with a sharp change in body position, for example, when you get up. This kind of dizziness is not a threat to health (benign positional vertigo). Often dizzy from motion sickness during a trip on transport. Also, dizziness can cause antibiotics: in this case, the dose of the drug decreases or the reception of funds ceases.
Why there is a fear of headache?
The vestibular system is closely related to the vegetative system, so when dizziness caused by vestibular disorders, vegetative and psychovegetative disorders also arise. This feeling of fear, nausea, vomiting, pale skin, increased sweating, anxiety. Vertigo, despite the emerging fear, is not dangerous in itself, because it is just a symptom. And the very reason for dizziness should be established as quickly as possible, since dizziness can be a harbinger of such serious diseases as stroke, tumor formation of the brain, multiple sclerosis, etc.
What to do with frequent dizziness: Do I need to go to the doctor?
Find out the real cause of dizziness can only be a doctor: for this you may need to undergo an additional examination. Initially, you should contact your family doctor, neurologist or otoneurologist, you may need to be examined by an ENT doctor, an endocrinologist. If a person has a fit of dizziness that is combined with speech disorders, severe weakness and deterioration of well-being, numbness of arms and legs, double vision in the eyes, then it is urgent to call an ambulance.
In general, physicians recommend having a home-based tonometer and monitoring the level of blood pressure (BP) especially in older people. If you started dizzy, then you need to lie down and measure blood pressure. In the event that the pressure c is increased (the first stage of hypertension is considered to be the pressure from 140-159 / 90-99 mm Hg), and you have never encountered such a condition before and did not take medications, then it is dangerous to reduce blood pressure yourself . Drugs for correction of blood pressure should be taken only after consulting a doctor, because a sharp decrease in pressure below the norm (120/80 mm Hg) may be even more dangerous than its reduction.
Picture Credit: Felix_Hu